- Panda Cloud Antivirus – The Panda Cloud antivirus features a lightweight tool that offers real-time antivirus protection for free. The software can be used along other security programs without problems. It is a free version of the commercial product and therefore, it has several missing features. The “USB Vaccine” helps to reduce the risks of malware likely to infect the USB drive while the Pro-edition seeks to protect users on public Wi-Fi networks.
- AVG Free Antivirus – The AVG Free Antivirus offers a solid package with a range of features including: an antivirus engine, identity theft protection, email scanner and a Link Scanner Surf-Shield that helps to ensure safety while you are online. The software features lots of buttons, tiles and menu entries, which make the program to look more complex.
- Avast Free Antivirus – The Avast Free Antivirus software is considered one of the most popular softwares. The program can be installed easily because it features a straightforward interface that is easy to use. Performing a quick scan can help you identify potential threats on the PC. All this offers a minimal impact on the performance of the system. Independent testing of the software has found the program good. The Avast Free features useful extras include a software updater that alerts you to update the program.
- Zone Alarm Free Antivirus + firewall – The main concern about the Zone Alarm Free Antivirus + Firewall are that it is updated daily (the hourly updates are normally reserved for the commercial-version). The daily updates leaves the PC exposed to the latest threats. Nevertheless, the software offers plenty of functionality (with a capable AV Test certified antivirus engine), some browsing protection and easy-to-use firewall.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware – Antivirus software protects your computer from future attacks, but sometimes your computer can get a virus that is so deeply entrenched in your software that you need malware removal software to extract it. Malwarebytes is a phenomenal free malware extraction software. If your computer becomes infected with a virus, it can remove it for you, as well.
There are a few different types of programs you can use to protect yourself against viruses and malware. A full-scale antivirus program scans your computer for existing threats, cleans them, and then protects your computer from new attacks. Remove-only software isn’t preventative, but it is essential if your computer is already infected and won’t let you install a full-fledged antivirus software program. There are other free antivirus products that are worth considering as extra layers of security.